Updated: Sep 4, 2022
Slow and Fast readings
Reading is a compulsory process in the legal field. Every day a lawyer has to read something or other connected with his case: apart from that while arguing a matter before the Honorable courts a lawyer has to read out certain facts or law points or case laws to the court and try to convince the court regarding his case. Therefore reading demands a variety of exercises to be done before it is called proper reading. Apart from it, a lawyer has also to read and keep himself abreast with the latest amendments in any of the Central or State Statutes or the new and latest rulings of High Courts and Supreme Courts on any point of law. Therefore roading to a lawyer is an inevitable exercise, but as a student, if you start not reading when you complete your law course, you all would be fluent in reading.
Reading is compulsory whether you argue your matter in Marathi or English because the hints -I will give below are equally important for both kinds of lawyers, ie. whether they argue in Marathi or in English as clear and clarity of reading has an impact definitely a court which calmly listens to your arguments. The hints for clear reading are common of both slow or fast reading only in slow reading the speed is less while in fast reading it is otherwise. However we enumerate the following tips or points for reading generally.
1) While reading the eyelids see the letters and after their completion passes on to the other words, so many people who do not have a reading habit, stammer because eyelids move slow. So in order that reading should be fast, the eyelids should also move fast and this can happen only when you have reading practice.
2) Secondly to have clarity your tongue should be clean and for which habits like smoking thinking, pawn chewing must be stopped.
3) Thirdly, the voice should be clear loud, and audible (not-shouting) keeping in view the reference of reading into context."
4) Fourthly, when you are reading punctuation plays an important role, so wherever there is a comma, or full stop There should be a pause and stop or a second and then road further. So that continuity and relevance of a sentence or statement are understood
5) Fifthly, there should not be repetition in reading but it requires emphatic expression must be used in places where you want to convince any point which you feel that it is effective to prove your point, otherwise never repeat any word or sentence
6) Lastly voice variation should be used and not to read in the same monotonous tone or voice because the variation of the pitch of your voice and volume has a direct impact on the person to whom you are reading These are some of the practical hints one has to follow in order to be a good reader.
The main suggestion which I would make a that: you should read daily the columns of Editorials of both Marathi and English papers which have some standard and also good magazines in both the languages so that you will become a perfect reader in both the languages None the less you should also read legal magazines and books Listen to News because listening also helps directly when you are reading.
Finally would conclude that reading is to be made a habit and once it becomes a habit like taking tea or coffee I am sure you can be a good reader and which is the most essential asset in the legal profession.